I had forgotten how I enjoyed reading Loertscher's articles. Although much of what he advocates requires a bit of cash, which is non-existent in today's economy, I feel he has underlined an important reality that future libraries will have to face. He makes the analogy between Microsoft and Google.
"Microsoft has the business plan that if they build it, we will come—and buy their product. Google’s approach is different: if they build it, we will integrate it into our lives. We use Microsoft products on their terms, but we use Google products—from iGoogle to GoogleDocs—on our terms, to construct whatever we want."
He states that the Microsoft mindset is typical of libraries. How can we change so as to become part of our students' lives? He makes many of suggestions, some of which have guided my " change" policy for next year. From his article I have taken two of his strategies:
1. Student-run book clubs exist in virtual space- Next year will encourage Student Book Clubs via our website.2. The library Website turns into a collaborative virtual learning commons where everyone is sharing resources and ideas- have worked closely with Grade 3 teacher on units. Next year we will continue this collaboration and include the other Grade 3 teacher. The resources will be posted to the Website. This will provide a model for other teachers.
My two changes are modest but workable for next year.
Interestingly, many of the articles reviewed by my colleagues are in one form of the other related to the future of the library and its catalogue moving to a change that will incorporate more "Google-like" features. I have referred to this in a number of my posts. What I discovered is a warning from a response to this article written to the BCLA. Like all corporate giants, the object is to make money and thus there will be a number of fees attached to downloading books etc. in libraries! Please refer to comment submitted by Violet Smotra-Cook from Regina, SK.
http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/index.asp?layout=talkbackCommentsFull&talk_back_header_id=6565419&articleid=CA6610496#12293
No comments:
Post a Comment