It is the system used at UBC, which probably explains why I often had some difficulty locating resources. I could not understand why it took longer than I thought it would. It was partly due to my limited knowledge of the system.
The LCC is an alpha-numeric system with 21 major classes and each main class has a subclass, i.e. A stands for General Works and AM, one would find general works on museums, collectors and collectiong.
As Maria Donovan mentioned the LCC's classification seems more specific,
"However, LLC classifications seemed to reflect a more accurate description of the content of the books, in many cases. For example, for the book Handwoven magazine presents the weaver's companion (p.45), the DDC main classification (700) was ‘The arts’ and the DDC Subdivision: (740) was Drawing and painting. The LCC classification was T: Technology and TT: handicrafts. ‘Handicraft’ (the LLC description) is a more precise description of a book on weaving than the DDC description of ‘drawing and painting.’ "
I think her observation is quite accurate.
From my course readings and text:
- Main classes and Secondary Classes- very extensive
- Alpha Numeric
- Subdivisions are further subdivided by adding numbers to the letters
- Can be further subdivided by adding additional numbers or letters
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/lcco/
No comments:
Post a Comment