Sunday, May 17, 2009

Tutorials and Websites

This week I have been busy doing quite a few of the tutorials and readings. Yes, the vagueness and total confusion is becoming less murky. As I said in my post, Chapter 5 is becoming clearer. I also read Chapters 1-4 to see if that would help. But in the end the tutorials were most beneficial. I have pasted the ones I did and commented on:

The online tutorials for MARC 21 records (http://www.loc.gov/marc/umb/ and http://www.loc.gov/marc/uma/) were excellent. They gave a very clear definition of fields and subfields, as well as codes used in a record. Chapter 5 examples were becoming clearer.

The tutorials from the Idaho University provided direct feedback by including mini quizzes as you progressed: http://libraries.idaho.gov/page/alternative-basic-library-education-able

For a list of Canadian Subject Headings see: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/csh-bin/search/l=0

A great article on cataloging rules written by ---------
Sandra Q. Williams is a professor in Learning Resources & Technology Services and the Center for Information Media at St. Cloud State University. She is the government documents librarian, has taught cataloging in the CIM graduate program for 15 years, and has a special interest in children's literature. She co-coordinates the annual Children's Literature Workshop at SCSU, which celebrated its 26th year in summer 2005.

This article gives some great examples for cataloging. I found it very readable. Included are great links. I have definitely printed and bookmarked this one. http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslarchive/kqarchives/volume34/342swilliams.cfm


Finally, any cataloging tools needed for public and school libraries can be found on this index page:
http://lib.nmsu.edu/staff/lcreider/BRLAURLs.html This is a great resource- all on one page.

I wanted to read what was happening in the Library Cataloging World and Heidi Hoerman’s blog keeps one updated in this sphere. Looks like there may be many changes in the cataloging world coming! Future4catalogers’ Blog Trying to Understand What’s Coming. Included are Rick Block Slides for the RDA. Seems like many librarians are, to quote Hoeman, saying, “Huh?”

http://future4catalogers.wordpress.com/

Library Thing at http://www.librarything.com/ Is a great tool because of the social aspect of it. Because my district does all the cataloguing it would not be useful from a practical aspect, but it allows you to read the bibliographic details of many books and even allows you to join groups that have similar book interests etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment