Sunday, May 10, 2009

START


LIBE 465 has started and this first week I have reviewed the tenets of a good library program:

to ensure that students and staff have the skills necessary to find and retrieve information. It is also important for students to be able to organize and evaluate the information they do find.

Just in my short while as a teacher-librarian, I have found that in this age of information overload it is essential that students are able to manage this information, so that the information does not control them, but rather that they become skillful enough to control and manage the information.

Although this reflective blog is not meant to regurgitate the information I have read, I feel that for my purpose I would like to again list the AASL's (1998) document for "Information Power Guidelines"

1. provide leadership and expertise in acquiring and evaluating information sources in various formats
2. provide access to information in various formats
3. instruct in developing strategies for locating, evaluating ad using information
4. promote ethical use of information
5. bring awareness of information issues in collaboration with teachers, administrators,, students, and staff
6. provide and promote an effective reading program
7. play an active role in curriculum development

The more I am aware of my role as the TL, the more it becomes internalized.

The goals outlined for this course will definitely assist me in making sense of how a library is organized and most importantly I will be able to "demonstrate the skills to catalogue any new resource."

No comments:

Post a Comment