This weekend I spent reading the overview for week two: Cataloguing: An Overview of the Process Intellectually, I followed along nicely, understanding the rules governing the description of the items to be catalogued and the rules governing the choice and form of name access points as outlined in our course outline. The difficulty emerged when we were asked to read, Chapter 5 in our text,( Intner & Weihs, 2007). The examples given were complicated with all the added detail. I am hoping that half way through the course I will be able to do this independently. The spacing, dashes etc. are like a foreign language. I was so discouraged that I read all the chapters preceding Chapter 5. These chapters only reinforced our course notes. There was some clarification regarding the spacing and dashes. However, all the rules are outlined in the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules binder. I have managed to get a hold of this...size is quite daunting!
In summary, I feel that I understand much of the notation in the bibliographic descriptions. Could I do it myself? At this point,no. I feel much like a primary student feels when imagining themselves being able to read and comprehend larger text material! Tell me it is possible!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment